phone+44 (0)151 928 5183

A guide to the confirmation statement (annual return) CS01

The Confirmation Statement Explained

The confirmation statement is the statement you receive from Companies House in order to verify your company’s supplied data. You will get one of these when you form your company. Once your data has been confirmed, then the information will be displayed on a public register. This information needs to be submitted annually, Unless your company has changed in some significant way, for example, the appointment of a new director, then this is simply a matter of clicking through the Companies House website and sending in your new statement.

Is a Confirmation Statement the Same as an Annual Return?

No, this is a common mistake. The Companies House confirmation statement is form CS01. This form is intended to verify that the information held on the public register is accurate. It is not as complex as an annual return as there is no need to enter the same information again that was added last year if there are no changes. The confirmation statement lets you to simply tick a box to confirm that the records held on the public register are still correct.

What Information is Included in the Confirmation Statement?

You need to restrict the information to that related to the makeup of the company and board of directors. There is no need to include any tax information, such as your unique tax reference. The main information you will be including are items like your registered company address and the names and NI numbers of each of your directors. It is a relatively simple process to fill in, and a formations agent can guide you through the process. Once you have set up the information the first time, you will very rarely have to change it.

Should the Confirmation Statement Be Used to Report Changes?

If you want, you can use the confirmation statement as a means of reporting changes. It works in the same way as the annual return does. The information you are able to update includes shareholders details, SIC codes, and details on anyone who holds significant control over your company. Take note, as the People with Significant Control part of the return was only introduced in April 2016. There are other pieces of information that can only be updated by submitting special forms. For example, you have to submit a form if you want to appoint or terminate a company director. Should these forms be accepted, you will still have to update your annual return when the time comes.

What is the Deadline for a Confirmation Statement?

The confirmation statement has to be submitted once every year. Your ‘confirmation date’ is the annual deadline. You are free to choose this date to suit you; the default date is the anniversary of when you initially set up your company. For there it will be every twelve months from the date you set. You will only have 14 days to submit your confirmation statement to Companies House after the anniversary date so make sure it does not coincide with your busiest trading period!

Who Has to File The Confirmation Statement?

Your confirmation statement is always filed online. Companies House has made it easier than ever before to submit the statement in this way. There are very few companies that will still submit a paper statement. Your company directors are legally responsible for ensuring your confirmation statement reaches Companies House before the deadline. It is a criminal offence not to submit your confirmation statement. Your company could be closed and your assets confiscated, in theory. In practice, you will most likely receive a fine and might have to appear in court.

What’s the Difference Between Annual Accounts and an Annual Confirmation Statement?

The only thing these two submissions have in common is that they have to be submitted once a year. The annual confirmation statement is about the structure of your company. You’re telling Companies House about your chain of command. On the other hand, your accounts detail the financial performance and business activity of your company. Your annual accounts determine how much you pay in tax. You should always get an accountant to help with that submission.